After participating in Harvard’s Institute of Politics National Campaign Conference, six of our students decided they would like to create a similar event at UF but centered on Florida. The idea was to have students from different Florida institutions come together for a weekend of meaningful discussion and deliberation on some of the issues most pressing to their generation. The goals of the Summit for the participants were determined to be:
- Meet and network with engaged students from around the state
- Participate in meaningful conversation and debate about a critical public policy issue(s) in higher education in a small group setting
- Develop a professional and persuasive policy proposal
- Bring the small group policy proposals to the larger group for debate on their validity
- Develop a strategy to continue the discussion in order to develop and implement a long-term action plan
While typically held at the University of Florida’s campus, 2021’s summit was held virtually over an online-conferencing platform. We remain committed to gathering students from across the state to explore important issues facing our state through interdisciplinary problem-solving. Participants were able to attend informative breakout sessions on intersectionality & disparities/equity, public health concerns vs. personal rights, innovation, and transparency and affordability. Participants displayed strong collaborative skills, innovative thinking, and a passion for change.
Applications to serve on the Student Organizing Committee for the 2022 Future of Florida Summit on Economic Policy are now open! See the application here.
2015 – Online Voter Registration in Florida
2016 – Lobbying and Advocacy
2017 – Constitutional Revision Commission
2018 – Future of Florida’s Environment
2019 – Technology and Public Policy
2020 – Criminal Justice Reform
2021 – Healthcare Policy
2022 – Economic Policy